Where do most leaks occur in concrete?
The usual suspects for leaks in concrete are at the joints, the structural connections, or the shrinkage cracks. Here are some general guidelines to follow to avoid these:
- Place waterproofing treatment directly on the concrete or wood substrate.
- Do not place insulating materials between two waterproofing membranes. This causes water entrapment problems.
- Backfill with a granular material
- Seal and caulk all flashings. Where possible, implement an annual inspection and maintenance program.
- Be aware of surface temperature and curing requirements of concrete before a concrete product is specified. Water entrapment, lack of adhesion, and solvent evaporation are concerns with temperature and curing.